A long-term community project that brings jobs, local investment and economic stimulus.
The Huntington Beach Desalination Water Treatment Facility will be a long-term partner with the community and is committed to working with residents, local and state regulatory agencies, elected officials, businesses and other stakeholders and organizations to enhance and protect Orange County’s quality of life.
- The Huntington Beach Desalination Facility will bring millions in new revenue to Orange County.
- The facility will provide the city of Huntington Beach with an estimated $106 million in financial benefits (new revenue, avoided construction costs and avoided operations & maintenance costs) over the life of the facility.
- The City will receive $3.9 million in development fees prior to commercial operation of the desalination plant. These cost savings will help the city fund other priorities like transportation, public safety and recreational services.
- Poseidon will pay at least $2 million per year in guaranteed property tax.
- The project will save the city $26.5 million in local water infrastructure, such as the construction of a new water storage tank for the city, the construction of a booster pump station and the operation and maintenance of a new water pipeline for the city.
- Poseidon will pay the City $170,000 per year for a water pipeline franchise.
- $2 million beautification and visual improvements to Newland Street at Pacific Coast Highway, including site cleanup, the removal of several old oil storage tanks and improved city-approved landscaping – at no cost to taxpayers.
- Poseidon will pay to the City $50,000 per year utility tax.
- The City of Huntington Beach will receive 3 million gallons of water per day (MGD) at 5% less than it would otherwise pay for imported water. During a water supply emergency the City of Huntington Beach would receive an additional 4 MGD for that same reduced price.
- If the facility ever ceases to operate, a bond will be available to restore the site to its original condition if desired by the land owner and the city.
- Poseidon Water will spend over $350 million to build the facility, creating 2,100 jobs during construction and $200 million in economic stimulus.
- Once the facility is in operation, it will create 18 full-time jobs and 322 indirect jobs.
- There will be no financial risk to the city, county or taxpayers; instead, all construction, development and operation costs will be borne by Poseidon. All benefits will be provided for the city and the county – at no risk to the city or the county.
The Huntington Beach Desalination Facility will provide the city of Huntington Beach an estimated $106 million in financial benefits.
"This facility would bring more than $2 million per year in tax revenue to Huntington Beach – money that could support schools, police and fire protection, health, welfare, and transportation.” ~ Orange County Taxpayers Association